Monday, January 2, 2017

One Word 2017

A few years ago, I talked about One Word the first time.  I have gotten out of the habit of doing this each year and this year I decided to start again.  


My word for 2017 came to me pretty easily.  I haven't talked about it much on here but 2016 was a challenging year for me in a lot of ways.  I spent a lot of 2015 really focusing on my health, losing a lot of weight and really taking care of myself.  2016 started out okay besides a bad sinus infection and a bought of the stomach flu (which was foreshadowing for the rest of the year).  Flash forward to the summer, I started having some serious health issues and ended up gaining a lot of the weight back, feeling awful every day and spending way too much time in the hospital and in doctors offices.  After 6 months of looking for answers, we still aren't sure what caused the original problem but we were able to eliminate the scariest options.  We did discover several things about my health through the process though that I am thankful to know and am able to work on.  I didn't really want to share any of this on my blog but I decided to give you all a few highlights for a couple of reasons.

One, this blog is about my life and that includes the dark and crummy parts too.  It makes me feel so much more normal when I read about others going through something similar to me and I feel like I owed it to those bloggers to share parts of my story too.  Two, I took large blogging breaks this year and that's why.  There were days I just didn't have it in me to post on here, I was barely getting through the necessities of each day.  Three, because I want you all to pay so much attention to your health.  I almost blew off the symptoms I was having and they were super scary ones.  It's so easy to just say oh maybe I'll call my doctor next week.  When I finally decided to call my doctor's office and listed off my symptoms, they had me leave work and be in their office in less than an hour.  In that moment, it got real.  Do not brush off symptoms - get checked out!  Even though we're not 100% sure what caused my original issue, we did find some very important things out about my body to keep me healthier going forward and we would never have figured those things out without some of those tests.  This allows me to take care of the issues they did find in the ways my doctors recommend and if I have issues again it will give them a starting point.  

I have a bad habit of putting me and my health last.  I like to take care of other people, our house, my work, etc.  I have learned that I can't do that anymore.  It's like the airplane oxygen mask.  I have to take care of myself so that I can do all of the other things I want to do and to pursue the things God wants me to.

I have chosen Health as my word for 2017.  I want to pursue a healthier body and lifestyle through my food choices, regular exercise, resting my body and taking care of this vessel God has gifted me with.  I want to pursue a healthier marriage and relationship with my husband.  I want to pursue healthier relationships with my family and friends.  I want to pursue a stronger relationship with God through intentional prayer, devotionals and bible study.  I want to improve our financial health by paying down more debt and saving for our future goals.  The word health applies to all aspects of my life I'm wanting to focus on this year which makes it the perfect word for me.

Hopefully, this time in 2018 I'll be able to say I'm in a much healthier place and feeling great!  I'll be checking in during 2017 to let you all know how I'm doing with my word.

Are you all choosing a word this year?  If so, what's yours?

8 comments:

  1. After reading your story, I think 'health' is the perfect word for you for 2017! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear you had such a big health scare last year! I'm so glad you got checked out and are alright! Here's to a MUCH healthier 2017!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, yes. I think we're all so guilty of putting others before ourselves and I love your word! I hope you can find the answers you are looking for an it gives you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry for whatever is going on. I personally think health is something I majorly take for granted. I don't make healthy choices and it will eventually catch up to me. I'm hoping to work on that in 2017. My one word for the year is balance. We got this! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about the health scares you've been having in the past year, but I am thankful that seeing a doctor did at least give you information you might not otherwise have known. I love your focus and plans for the new year. Cheers to 2017 being a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry that were battling all of that scariness with your health last year and I hope that you have a healthy 2017...and beyond! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that you've been plagued by health scares - that's no fun at all. I wish you all the health in the New Year though! I think that my word for the year is simply, "Me." It sounds so vain, but while my husband is deployed, I'm going to focus on rebuilding my health, my fitness and my happiness to be the best version of myself when he returns <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great word for you! It sounds like the last year has been really tough, but so glad you guys were able to figure out some things! I know you are kicking butt with the 21 Day Fix already for your physical health, and I can't wait to follow along for the rest!

    ReplyDelete